Ratan Tata dismisses 'ghost-shadow' talk over Tata Group
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Ramdev âgoes liveâ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi addresses a rally in Assam; Sonia Gandhi to address a rally in Amethi today
Be your own man, Ratan Tata has advised Cyrus Mistry, who will succeed him at the helm of the USD 100 billion Tata group two weeks from now.
"I don't think it is right to have a ghost to shadow over somebody," says Tata, dismissing any notion that his larger-than-life persona would linger even after he retires on December 28 when he turns 75.
The Tata patriarch has told Mistry, 31 years younger, "you should be your own person, you should take your own call and you should decide what you want to".
Ratan Tata SurveyLegacy
Tata spoke about his 50 years with the group, 21 as its chairman, the highs and lows of his tenure, his equation with Mistry and his post-retirement plans during an expansive interview in his office at "Bombay House", the group headquarters.
Mistry, currently Vice Chairman of the conglomerate that spans automobiles, IT, hotels, tea and steel across 80 countries, has been working closely with Tata to prepare for the transition.
Have you passed on a success mantra to Mistry? the outgoing chairman was asked.
"No, I told him the same things that I told myself when JRD (late J R D Tata) handed over the mantle to me.
The first reaction of anybody is to be Mr J R D Tata because you are filling his shoes.
"I instantly told myself, 'I can never do that'. I will never be him much as I try to imitate him. So I took a decision to be myself and to do what I thought was the right thing. I told Cyrus the same thing," he said.
During the transition, Mistry had asked him from time to time, 'is this OK, that OK'. He had responded by telling him that he should look at things as "if I were not there because you should be your own person".