Ration meant for flood-hit rotting in Uttarakhand godowns
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
While flood-hit people of Uttarakhand kept crying for succour, ration meant for them kept rotting in government godowns with villagers complaining that sacks full of foodgrain have been thrown in the Gori river.
Authorities have now launched a probe into the complaints.
"We have reports about foodgrains received as ration for affected people from different parts of the country having rotted away in godowns where they were kept. The matter is serious and an investigation has been launched into it, " Pithoragath Additional District Magistrate B L Rana said.
Villagers in Pithoragarh district on Sunday saw labourers throwing sacks full of foodrgains including rice and pulses in the Gori river.
When asked why they were doing so, the labourers replied that the foodgrains were rotten and so being disposed of, the official said, adding locals reported the matter to the administration which has issued orders for its investigation.
Dharchula and Munsyari areas in Pithoragarh district suffered massive devastation in the June calamity and rations were received from all over the country as relief for them.
Locals complained that while sacks of rotten wheat are being thrown in river Gori, rotten rice is being distributed among them as fodder for their livestock.
However, when contacted, Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar admitted that the matter was serious but denied having received any such complaints.
He, however, gave an assurance that proper action will be taken if anything of the sort is brought to his notice.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'