RBS India to layoff staff
- LIVE: Western Railway resumes services, but Mumbai braces for more rain tomorrow
- Lalit Modi Row: BJP rejects demand for resignation of Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Hooch liquor tragedy: Death toll rises to 41; eight policemen suspended
- J&K govt prevents Sopore Chalo march, top separatists detained
- Petition against Tendulkar's Bharat Ratna admitted by Madhya Pradesh HC
Royal Bank of Scotland is to layoff staff in India as a part of its plan to wind down its retail and commercial operations in the country, it said in a statement, without specifying how many employees would be affected.
The announcement comes after British Prime Minister David Cameron said he wants the bank to speed its restructuring, making it clear he is keen to return it to private ownership as soon as possible. The British government owns 82 per cent of RBS having pumped in £45 billion when the bank neared collapse in 2008.