Ready and on time, but no bus to Dera Beas
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
Several residents of the city were left stranded at the Panchkula bus stand, as the bus service to Dera Beas was scrapped by authorities two days ago, allegedly without any prior notice.
Even as authorities maintain the route was not profitable, the residents say they would have been spared the harassment had they received prior intimation.
"There is a regular bus service from the Panchkula bus stand to Amritsar, Jalandhar, en route Dera Beas. Now, we learn that the service has been terminated," said Roshan Lal, a passenger at the bus stand.
Another passenger Mohan Diwan said, "After waiting for around 20 minutes, we were informed that the bus service has been terminated. The authorities should have made arrangements to inform the public of the same."
While Traffic Manager Manohar Lal refused to comment on the issue, another official at the bus stand said, "The service to this route was recently terminated by the Traffic Manager as the route was not profitable. Instead of receiving money at the rate Rs 15 per kilometer, we barely managed Rs 9 for every kilometer."
Haryana Roadways' general manager K L Kalson, meanwhile, maintained he would look into the matter and investigate if the bus service on the route was indeed terminated without prior intimation.