Reality TV fans three times likelier to use tanning beds
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
Researchers from Brooklyn College have claimed that 13 per cent people, who watch shows like 'Snooki 'n' JWoww' and 'Real Housewives' use sunlamps compared to less than four per cent of non-viewers.
They said that reality shows starring bronzed celebrities, encourage viewers to tan as they imply it is something "attractive" and "positive," the Daily Mail reported.
The findings also showed that women were ten times more likely to use tanning lamps than men.
The new findings were based on a survey of 576 college students in their early 20s.
Sixty one per cent of participants said that they watched reality shows but did not specify which ones.
As well as indoor tanning, they were asked about how much time they had spent in the sun over the past year.
Among those who watched reality TV 43 per cent said that they had tanned outdoors for more than two hours at a time compared to 29 per cent of non-viewers.
Lead researcher Joshua Fogel said that another reason could be that people who are tanned in the first place like watching reality shows as the characters look more like them.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first