Received threats for speaking about Hafiz Saeed: BJP leader

Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi

BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi today claimed he received threat calls from abroad last week cautioning him against speaking about Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed and others.

Naqvi said he wrote a letter to the Home Minister the following day informing him about the calls and demanded that government should deal "effectively" with terror-related issues.

"I got a call on February 16 and I wrote a letter to the Home Minister and the Home Secretary informing them about the call. The caller threatened me about speaking against Hafiz Sayeed," the BJP vice president told reporters outside Parliament.

The twin blasts in Hyderabad yesterday and the threat call reflect the fact that terror elements are working with nefarious designs in mind to destabilise peace in the country, he said.

"I urge the government to address these issues not casually but with effective and strong mindset. The message should go that no element can destabilise the unity of the country," he said.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.