Recommend President's rule in UP: Mayawati requests Governor
- Independence Day Narendra Modi speech LIVE: PM addresses price rise to progress
- Narendra Modi speech Independence Day 2016: Transparency seems to be highlight, says processes simplified
- CRPF officer killed as militants attack police station in Srinagar
- Rio Olympics 2016: Dipa Karmakar's Produnova does India proud
- Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech packs a few subtle hints after the hard messages
Former UP chief minister and BSP president Mayawati on Monday asked Governor B L Joshi to take cognisance of the prevailing law and order situation in the state and recommend the imposition of President's rule.
"Under the prevailing dismal law and order situation and corruption I would request the Governor to himself take cognisance as per the constitutional provisions and recommend imposition of President's rule in the state," Mayawati said.
Referring to the scheduled visit of the President tomorrow for the 125 year celebrations of the UP Assembly, she said the Governor should place these facts before Pranab Mukherjee.
"Though I myself and my party MPs can also put these things before the President, but then there would be an attempt to brand them as guided by political vendetta to set them aside," Mayawati said.
Crime under the SP government has increased as compared to other states, she alleged, adding that those against women and girls have alerted the people.
Referring to the case of a Dalit girl in Noida, she said it was a recent example as to how the police allegedly tried to "hush up" the whole affair by attempting to cremate her late in the night but failed because of vigilant locals and the media.
"It is most unfortunate that SP government instead of controlling crime, it has been putting all its strength for hushing it up," she accused.
- Indians are more free than when the British left, but less free than what the framers of our Constitution hoped us to be.
- Gujarat Dalits’ move to quit ‘menial jobs’ in protest has a precedent in UP
- Ravana in Uttar Pradesh: Nayanjot Lahiri
- PM Modi needs to move from slogans to action to transform agriculture
- Nepal: The politician-activist-donor nexus dominates the appointment of judges
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages