Recovery officer sentenced to 2 yrs
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
A Special CBI court Monday sentenced a recovery officer of the Debt Recovery Tribunal who was held guilty on December 15 for accepting an illegal gratification of Rs 10,000 from a Panchkula resident to two years in jail and Rs 2,000 fine. The officer was held guilty under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
SS Kalra, a recovery officer of the Debt Recovery Tribunal was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sleuths while accepting a bribe of Rs 10,000 for issuing a sale certificate for a property on April 28, 2010. The Anti-Corruption Branch of the CBI received a complaint regarding the corruption prevalent in Debt Recovery Tribunal at Chandigarh.
Kalra was arrested from his Sector 8 office after the complaint of Amarnath Goel, a resident of Panchkula. The complainant had alleged that the accused demanded Rs 20,000 for the issue of a certificate for a piece of land he had purchased in Una for four lakhs.
The complainant, Amarnath Goel, had participated in an auction conducted by the Debt Recovery Tribunal and was a successful bidder. He then deposited 25 per cent of the amount then and there and the rest of the outstanding amount within 15 days.
Amarnath met Kalra at the latter's office where he allegedly demanded Rs 20,000 for issue of the sale certificate. Kalra kept delaying the matter and the same was reported to CBI who then laid the trap and arrested Kalra red-handed.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed