Recovery officer sentenced to 2 yrs
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
A Special CBI court Monday sentenced a recovery officer of the Debt Recovery Tribunal who was held guilty on December 15 for accepting an illegal gratification of Rs 10,000 from a Panchkula resident to two years in jail and Rs 2,000 fine. The officer was held guilty under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
SS Kalra, a recovery officer of the Debt Recovery Tribunal was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sleuths while accepting a bribe of Rs 10,000 for issuing a sale certificate for a property on April 28, 2010. The Anti-Corruption Branch of the CBI received a complaint regarding the corruption prevalent in Debt Recovery Tribunal at Chandigarh.
Kalra was arrested from his Sector 8 office after the complaint of Amarnath Goel, a resident of Panchkula. The complainant had alleged that the accused demanded Rs 20,000 for the issue of a certificate for a piece of land he had purchased in Una for four lakhs.
The complainant, Amarnath Goel, had participated in an auction conducted by the Debt Recovery Tribunal and was a successful bidder. He then deposited 25 per cent of the amount then and there and the rest of the outstanding amount within 15 days.
Amarnath met Kalra at the latter's office where he allegedly demanded Rs 20,000 for issue of the sale certificate. Kalra kept delaying the matter and the same was reported to CBI who then laid the trap and arrested Kalra red-handed.
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized
- CBI, Army vigilance wing carry out daylong search at NDA
- Balancing Act