Recruitment of GLP cadres in GTA under scanner
- Elections 2014 Live: Polling underway peacefully; Kapil Sibal, Harsh Vardhan cast their votes
- Modi tukde tukde kar dega... ladaa dega, says Rahul
- Congress not aggressive enough, says Sharad Pawar
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Two CRPF jawans killed in Bihar before start of polling
The decision of Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) to appoint the cadres of Gorkhaland personnel (GLP) in several departments without the state government's approval has come under the scanner.
The state government has asked for clarification from the GTA on recruitment of GLP. The executive officials of GTA, however, have claimed that the authority has recruited the GLP cadres on daily wage-basis and not on a regular pay roll.
Initially, the GTA authorities appointed around 40 cadres of GLP (the GJM equivalent to government police) in some departments and in hospitals in the Hills as security guards and drivers.
Deputy Chief Executive of GTA, Ramesh Alley said, "We have not violated any norm. We have recruited some of the GLP cadres as security guards in hospitals and some offices on daily wage-basis. We need people to work. But the government has not given us enough man-power."
"Moreover, according to the GTA agreement, the state and central governments are supposed to recruit the GLP cadres in the paramilitary forces in the state and Centre. But one-and-a-half years have passed. No process has been initiated to give them employment," Alley added.
The GLP is the lathi-wielding voluntary force raised by the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha with the purported purpose of controlling crowd and capturing areas during the Gorkahland movement.
According to a senior official of GTA, the recruitment was in contravention of a state order issued on April 23, 2010. The order stated that no casual/daily rated workers would be engaged by the government.
Giving employment to the GLP cadres has always been a crucial issue for the GJM leadership. The GJM leadership has even threatened to use the GLP cadres in the agitation programme demanding Gorkhaland.
A senior GJM leader said, "The GJM president bears all the cost of the huge force. We will send them to Delhi also and they will join the dharna programme. We are also sending ex-servicemen to Delhi to intensify the dharna programme."
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi