Red sanders worth Rs 2 cr seized from West Delhi
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
The Crime Branch of the Delhi Police on Thursday seized 10 tonnes of red sandalwood worth Rs 2 crore, meant to be smuggled to China.
The sandalwood was recovered from a godown in West Delhi, police said.
According to police, the seizure was made following a tip off that a man (name withheld), who is allegedly involved in the illegal export of red sandalwood from India to China, has stocked the wood in his godown in Janakpuri.
"We raided the premises in the presence of officials of the Department of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and seized the red sanders. This was kept in the store to be smuggled to China. The matter is under investigation and further action will be taken," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) S B S Tyagi said.