Regardless of Nagpur result, itís decision time: Harsha Bhogle
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Now India have been driven to the brink, there is no choice but to realise that the weaknesses displayed in England and Australia were indicative of deeper fissures, that the illness had spread to home conditions. If India had won a one-sided series on rank turners it would have covered up fundamental weaknesses for a little longer and with 14-15 away tests on the trot, India could have been further exposed.
And so we must have a review of every aspect of Indian cricket; a review that asks uncomfortable questions because otherwise it will be like solving only the problems you know, rather than tackling the ones you don't, in preparation for a mathematics exam. The questions you ask determine the answers you get and any review must consist of people who will ask uncomfortable questions. Is domestic cricket producing the players India needs? Or is there a problem with domestic cricket? Is the IPL influencing the way youngsters are playing domestic cricket? Why are there no spinners anywhere on the horizon? Why have we been outspun on our pitches by, of all people, English spinners? What have they done right therefore? Do we have the right coaches at grassroot level? Have we had the right people running our academies? There will be many more, these took a minute to generate.
Influenced by IPL
Some of the answers to these questions are staring us in the face. The Ranji Trophy has been poor for a long time, it is the highest form of India's domestic game and playing it must be an accomplishment. If players on the ground are saying that fast bowlers are being influenced by the IPL to think in terms of only four overs, that is an issue to be addressed immediately. We could go on and I would in fact advocate a public review, a communication to the fans who are responsible for the power of Indian cricket, for dissent and acceptance of dissent are signs of mature organisations.
- Kejriwal-Centre showdown likely as AAP set to table Janlokpal Bill despite Law Ministry‚Äôs¬†view
- Arvind Kejriwal may resign today over Jan Lokpal Bill, Cong and BJP unite in opposition
- Arvind Kejriwal and Narendra Modi: Twitter profile | The Indian Express
- ‚ÄėI asked my wife to stop joking when she said Rs 3.75¬†crore‚Äô