Register FIR against Mankhurd shelter: HC
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Arvind Kejriwal
- Robert Vadra's Facebook post triggers BJP, Congress clash; House adjourned
- Scolded by Sonia, Shashi Tharoor gets praise from PM Modi
- RK Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur is new TERI chief
- PM's credibility declining, no discussion until Sushma steps down: Rahul
Bombay High Court (HC) asked police Friday to register an FIR on the basis of allegations made by inmates of a state-run shelter home for rescued women.
It also asked superintendent of police Rashmi Karandikar to personally relocate 20 inmates of Navjeevan Sudhar Kendra in suburban Mankhurd to Shradhanand Mahila Ashram in Matunga, central Mumbai.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar said the inmates be examined by a government doctor for signs of physical abuse.
HC had earlier directed magistrate Swati Chavan to monitor affairs at the home and a team of magistrates to record statements of the women.
A court-appointed committee said 66 per cent of the inmates (36 out of 54) were found to be "severely depressed" and a similar number displayed suicidal intents. A woman had committed suicide in March.