Register FIR against Mankhurd shelter: HC
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Bombay High Court (HC) asked police Friday to register an FIR on the basis of allegations made by inmates of a state-run shelter home for rescued women.
It also asked superintendent of police Rashmi Karandikar to personally relocate 20 inmates of Navjeevan Sudhar Kendra in suburban Mankhurd to Shradhanand Mahila Ashram in Matunga, central Mumbai.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar said the inmates be examined by a government doctor for signs of physical abuse.
HC had earlier directed magistrate Swati Chavan to monitor affairs at the home and a team of magistrates to record statements of the women.
A court-appointed committee said 66 per cent of the inmates (36 out of 54) were found to be "severely depressed" and a similar number displayed suicidal intents. A woman had committed suicide in March.