Register FIR against Mankhurd shelter: HC
- Modi in UAE: PM visits Sheikh Zayed Grand mosque; to discuss terror, trade with top leaders
- UAE takes a 'landmark' decision, allots land for buliding first temple in Abu Dhabi
- Indonesian plane carrying 54 people found crashed in Papua: Official
- Ceasefire violations: India summons Pakistan envoy, lodges protest
- Pakistan's Punjab Home Minister assassinated in suicide attack
Bombay High Court (HC) asked police Friday to register an FIR on the basis of allegations made by inmates of a state-run shelter home for rescued women.
It also asked superintendent of police Rashmi Karandikar to personally relocate 20 inmates of Navjeevan Sudhar Kendra in suburban Mankhurd to Shradhanand Mahila Ashram in Matunga, central Mumbai.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice Nitin Jamdar said the inmates be examined by a government doctor for signs of physical abuse.
HC had earlier directed magistrate Swati Chavan to monitor affairs at the home and a team of magistrates to record statements of the women.
A court-appointed committee said 66 per cent of the inmates (36 out of 54) were found to be "severely depressed" and a similar number displayed suicidal intents. A woman had committed suicide in March.