Reliance 1 in quarters, State Bank of Patiala stay in hunt
- LIVE: Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken away for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
Riding on Shikhar Dhawan's knock of 62 and Jalaj Saxena's contribution of 44 from 22 balls, Relaince 1 scored a 15-run victory over strong contenders Canara Bank, their second win on the trot, to qualify for the quarter-finals form Group C in the 9th edition of the All India Dr D Y Patil T20 Cricket Tournament at the D Y Stadium, Nerul on Monday.
In afternoon matches, hosts Dr D Y Patil Group 'B' and Jain Irrigation scored comprehensive victories over their rivals State Bank Of Travancore and ONGC respectively and kept their hope alive for a place in the quarter finals stage from Group 'B' and Group 'C'.
Batting first Reliance 1 lost two key wickets of Virender Sehwag (7) and skipper Parthiv Patel (13), both bowled inside the power play by NC Aiyappa and C Raghu respectively with only 33 runs on the board. Opener Shikhar Dhawan found an able ally in Jalaj Saxena as the two set about rebuilding the innings and put on 77 runs in 54 balls for the third wicket. Left arm spinner Abrar Kazi (2/22) brought about the down fall of Saxena (44) in the 14th over. Dhawan in the meantime completed his half century inclusive of four boundaries and two six in 38 balls, before he mistimed one and was caught at midwicket off Raju Bhatkal bowling in the 17th over. Reliance 1 scored 158 for 8 in their allotted overs.
Chasing, Canara Bank were restricted to 143 for 8, Bharat Chipli's 36 and a cameo of 47 from 33 balls by southpaw Amitg Verma in vain. Rishi Dhawan (3 for 29) was the most successful bowler for Relaince 1.
Powered by half centuries from opener Subramaniam D (54) and all-rounder Manpreet Juneja (63 n.o. and 2 for 9) Dr D Y Patil Group 'B' put up an impressive 198 for 3 in 20 overs against State Bank of Travancore and then restricted them to 128 for 8 in 20 overs for a convincing victory.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students