Reliance Industries market turnover slips on lower gas output, SBI on top
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Rahul compares Modi with Hitler, says Gujarat CM behaves arrogantly
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
Shares of Reliance Industries (RIL) continued to languish at fifth position in the list of most actively traded securities for the second consecutive year as series of rating and earnings downgrades — due to declining gas output — diverted investors' attention to more lucrative frontline stocks in banking and technology space.
The total market turnover in RIL stock dropped to Rs 75,817.60 crore at the end of 2013, down 3.1% from 2012 (Rs 78,246.75 crore). The value of shares traded in the energy giant has dropped almost 73% from the peak turnover of Rs 2.8 lakh crore in CY08, show Bloomberg data. Data also show RIL's stock has given returns of less than 4% in last one year, compared with near 9% gain seen in the Sensex.
State Bank of India (SBI) topped the list of most active scrips in 2013 with a total market turnover of Rs 1.22 lakh crore, followed by ICICI Bank (Rs 1.04 lakh crore), Infosys (Rs 93,236 crore) and Axis Bank (Rs 84,898 crore).
Analysts, who track the oil and gas industry, said RIL shares were dented by rating downgrades by several brokerages between January and December 2012, due to declining gas production in KG D6 basin and the tussle with the government over gas pricing.
Units D1 and D3, which started production from Q1 FY10, are the two most prolific fields in the D6 block which were together expected to produce 80 mmscmd by the first quarter of FY12. In the first quarter of operations, the output averaged at 19 mmscmd against a target of 20 mmscmd.
While the two fields were not able to meet their given target for each quarter, RIL kept on increasing its production consistently till the fourth quarter of 2010 when it produced 59 mmscmd of gas which coincided with its target too for the same quarter.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express