Reliance Industries, others cell phone venture OK'd by Telecom Com
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Companies like Bharti Infratel, GTL Infrastructure, Indus Towers are involved in IP-1 business. The DoT committee had recommended bringing IP-1 companies under licence regime.
Telecom regulator TRAI has recommended a charge of 8 per cent licence fee to IP-1 companies once they are brought under licences.
For companies who wish to continue to "provide limited services like only internet services under cafeteria approach they can do so with a lower entry fee which will be same as present," Telecom Secretary said.
The TC also endorsed around Rs 3,000 crore support for mobile services in left wing extremist affected areas through Universal Service Obligation Fund for a period of 5 years.
"This proposal will have to be finally approved by Cabinet," Chandrashekhar added.