Republic Day celebrated amid tight security in Manipur
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Republic Day was today celebrated amid tight security deployment in Manipur with Governor Gurbachan Jagat taking salute from various contingents at the march past at the first Manipur Rifles ground here.
Official sources said there was heavy security and police deployment at various parts of the state capital in view of the boycott call of the Republic Day celebrations by all major insurgent organisations of the north-east, including United National Liberation Front (UNLF) and Revolutionary People's Front (RPF).
Patrolling was intensified at all entry points to Manipur Rifles ground including Moirangkhom, Sanjenthong, Keisampat and other areas, sources said.
Official reports from the districts said the day was also celebrated at all district headquarters amid heavy police and security deployment.
Insurgents had exploded three powerful bombs yesterday, including one at the first Manipur Rifles ground here, sources said, adding that most of the passers-by who came to witness the day's celebrations were checked at various places to intercept the movement of armed insurgents.