Republic Day celebrated amid tight security in Manipur
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Republic Day was today celebrated amid tight security deployment in Manipur with Governor Gurbachan Jagat taking salute from various contingents at the march past at the first Manipur Rifles ground here.
Official sources said there was heavy security and police deployment at various parts of the state capital in view of the boycott call of the Republic Day celebrations by all major insurgent organisations of the north-east, including United National Liberation Front (UNLF) and Revolutionary People's Front (RPF).
Patrolling was intensified at all entry points to Manipur Rifles ground including Moirangkhom, Sanjenthong, Keisampat and other areas, sources said.
Official reports from the districts said the day was also celebrated at all district headquarters amid heavy police and security deployment.
Insurgents had exploded three powerful bombs yesterday, including one at the first Manipur Rifles ground here, sources said, adding that most of the passers-by who came to witness the day's celebrations were checked at various places to intercept the movement of armed insurgents.