Republic Day: Mobiles, wireless services in Kashmir Valley jammed
- What benefit did I pass on to Lalit Modi? asks Sushma after controversy
- One Rank, One Pension: Parrikar asks agitating ex-servicemen to be patient
- 29-year-old held for raping mother in Ahmedabad
- Country emerges tough if leader is strong-willed: Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Over 15,000 killed in Naxal violence since 1980: Home Ministry
Cell phones and wireless Internet connections across Kashmir Valley fell silent today as official functions to celebrate the Republic Day started this morning.
All mobile phone and wireless Internet services were jammed by authorities this morning as a precautionary measure, official sources said.
It has become a regular practice in Kashmir to jam the mobile telephony and Internet signals during Republic Day and Independence Day functions.
Militants have used mobile phones in the past to trigger remote controlled explosive devices in Kashmir.
The services are likely to be restored as soon as the official function at Bakshi Stadium is over in the afternoon.