Reserved for SC this time, mayor’s seat witnesses lobbying
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- President not for executing Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, MHA disagrees
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- Malaysia asks India to join search for missing plane
With the mayoral elections scheduled for January 1, lobbying is going on with both the Congress and BJP looking towards garnering a majority. While the Congress has more than one probable candidate, the choice is limited for the BJP-SAD alliance with there being just one eligible candidate.
The mayor's post this year is reserved for a Scheduled Caste candidate. Rajinder Kaur Rattu is the only eligible candidate that the BJP-SAD alliance has. The first-time councillor was elected from Mauli Jagran. The BJP is expecting support from the BSP councillors as well as some nominated councillors. While the BSP had supported the Congress in the last mayoral elections, this year the situation has changed.
The BJP and BSP councillors have been supporting each other in the Municipal Corporation meetings. BSP councillor Jannat Jahan has levelled allegations against the Congress leaders for not letting work take place in her ward. During the meeting last month, the BSP and Congress leaders traded allegations. Jannat received support from BJP councillors as well as the one Independent councillor.
There are a total of 36 members in the MC House. Of these, 26 are elected and nine nominated while one is an ex-officio member who is the local MP. Among the 26 elected, 12 are from the Congress, 11 from BJP-SAD, two from BSP and one Independent.
Maintaining that every vote counts, a BJP councillor said the party had spoken to the nominated councillors. "Though they have been supporting the Congress in the last two elections, we are hopeful that some of them might vote in our favour," he added. The party would hold a meeting of the election committee before the name of the candidate is finalised.
In the Congress camp, there are more than one contenders. Satish Kainth who is currently deputy Mayor and was one in the previous term as well is lobbying for the post. A section of the party councillors is supporting him. H C Kalyan is another contender. This is Kalyan's second term as a councillor and he has got support from some of the councillors.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held