Reserved for SC this time, mayor’s seat witnesses lobbying
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi files nomination, says he didn't get personal with Narendra Modi
With the mayoral elections scheduled for January 1, lobbying is going on with both the Congress and BJP looking towards garnering a majority. While the Congress has more than one probable candidate, the choice is limited for the BJP-SAD alliance with there being just one eligible candidate.
The mayor's post this year is reserved for a Scheduled Caste candidate. Rajinder Kaur Rattu is the only eligible candidate that the BJP-SAD alliance has. The first-time councillor was elected from Mauli Jagran. The BJP is expecting support from the BSP councillors as well as some nominated councillors. While the BSP had supported the Congress in the last mayoral elections, this year the situation has changed.
The BJP and BSP councillors have been supporting each other in the Municipal Corporation meetings. BSP councillor Jannat Jahan has levelled allegations against the Congress leaders for not letting work take place in her ward. During the meeting last month, the BSP and Congress leaders traded allegations. Jannat received support from BJP councillors as well as the one Independent councillor.
There are a total of 36 members in the MC House. Of these, 26 are elected and nine nominated while one is an ex-officio member who is the local MP. Among the 26 elected, 12 are from the Congress, 11 from BJP-SAD, two from BSP and one Independent.
Maintaining that every vote counts, a BJP councillor said the party had spoken to the nominated councillors. "Though they have been supporting the Congress in the last two elections, we are hopeful that some of them might vote in our favour," he added. The party would hold a meeting of the election committee before the name of the candidate is finalised.
In the Congress camp, there are more than one contenders. Satish Kainth who is currently deputy Mayor and was one in the previous term as well is lobbying for the post. A section of the party councillors is supporting him. H C Kalyan is another contender. This is Kalyan's second term as a councillor and he has got support from some of the councillors.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit