Respite for Indian Railways' passengers as portal promises end to winter woes, courtesy Google
- Government issues notification for OROP implementation
- BJP marks strong electoral presence in Kerala civic polls
- Will ensure accountability of each and every penny: PM Modi on 80,000 cr J&K package
- #MarchforIndia rally: Nobody has the right to call our country intolerant, says Anupam Kher
- RSS destroying liberal, secular India: Rahul Gandhi
With train services hit due to fog in Northern states, Railways have made the train enquiry platform much more interactive helping passengers view the fog affected areas and check the affected stations.
The fog related information is a further improvement from the last time when the live status of the affected trains was introduced in the portal.
With the addition of the new feature, passengers view the white patches on the Google map which are the fog affected areas.
"Travellers can quickly search if their train has been affected by fog, and even check out the exact sections of the route where the fog has caused the delays.
"The view also displays each station within the fog-affected route, the details of which are displayed by a mouse," said a statement.
The site is powered by RailYatri in association with Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
The map is accessible on laptops and even Internet enabled handsets.
Substantial number of trains are daily affected by fog, especially in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Delhi and Punjab where delays can be up to 24 hours.
"Such seamless flow of information on fog delays would help a significant number of such travellers plan their journey better," said.
- Across the aisle: Win or lose, Mr Modi will be on test in Bihar polls
- Reverse Swing: Narendra Modi's governance is a lost opportunity
- Fifth Column: Bihar’s future vs Bihar’s past
- Out of my mind: What India can learn from Margaret Thatcher on intolerance
- Inside Track: Strained relations
- Bihar polls: Reservations an effort to polarise India’s pluralistic society