Respite for Indian Railways' passengers as portal promises end to winter woes, courtesy Google
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
With train services hit due to fog in Northern states, Railways have made the train enquiry platform much more interactive helping passengers view the fog affected areas and check the affected stations.
The fog related information is a further improvement from the last time when the live status of the affected trains was introduced in the portal.
With the addition of the new feature, passengers view the white patches on the Google map which are the fog affected areas.
"Travellers can quickly search if their train has been affected by fog, and even check out the exact sections of the route where the fog has caused the delays.
"The view also displays each station within the fog-affected route, the details of which are displayed by a mouse," said a statement.
The site is powered by RailYatri in association with Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
The map is accessible on laptops and even Internet enabled handsets.
Substantial number of trains are daily affected by fog, especially in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Delhi and Punjab where delays can be up to 24 hours.
"Such seamless flow of information on fog delays would help a significant number of such travellers plan their journey better," said.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon