Retired Colonel murders wife, arrested
- Modi government softens stand on controversial Land Acquisition Bill, says ready for talks
- Gangster Abu Salem sentenced to life imprisonment in Pradeep Jain murder case
- Went to casino for dinner with family, apologise for my choice of venue: Moin Khan
- Ready to discuss issue of alleged stealing of Petroleum ministry documents: Government
- Salman Khan black buck poaching case: Jodhpur court defers verdict
A retired Army Colonel has been arrested for allegedly killing his wife at their house in Vishrantwadi after a quarrel. The incident is believed to have occurred sometime between Wednesday midnight and Thursday morning, when the woman, Anita Anilkumar Lal (55), was found unconscious in the bathroom by her daughter, who immediately informed her brother Amit Lal who lives in Mumbai, Vishrantwadi police said.
A doctor they called to the house declared Anita dead.
Amit reported the matter to police, who registered an offence against Anita's husband Colonel (retd) Anilkumar Lal. He was arrested on Thursday night.
Police said that they learned from Amit that Anilkumar had married Anita against her will and the couple, who had been married for 32 years, quarrelled frequently.
Senior inspector Motichand Rathod of Vishrantwadi police station said, "Amit said in his complaint that his father had married his mother against her wishes and that he had been harassing her for long. Amit said in his complaint that his father murdered his mother after a quarrel."
Rathod said, "On Thursday, Anita's daughter saw her unconscious in the bathroom. She informed Amit who lives in Mumbai. Anita had injuries on the head, face, shoulders, hands, back, and stomach made with a heavy blunt object. We arrested Anilkumar and he confessed to having committed the crime. The two had married 32 years ago."
He added, "Lal retired as a colonel and has also served in the intelligence unit."
Lal was produced in court on Friday and remanded in police custody till Tuesday.