Retired cop Samuel Amolik arrested in Mumbai builder's murder case
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- India does not need a govt that makes Hindus fight Muslims: Rahul
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Uma Bharti says Robert Vadra will be in jail if NDA comes to power
A retired police officer and a shooter, who was on the run, were arrested today in connection with the murder of a Navi Mumbai-based builder outside his office in Vashi, police said.
While one of the two shooters Venkatesh Shettiar was apprehended yesterday itself after he and his accomplice allegedly assaulted Sunil Kumar Loharia (50), the other assailant Wajid Qureshi (28) was held today, a police officer said.
"Qureshi is a resident of Mumbra in Thane district," he said.
Qureshi's arrest came on the heels of police nabbing former encounter specialist Samuel Amolik in Mumbai earlier today for allegedly masterminding the gruesome murder.
Loharia sustained five bullet injuries and stab wounds after Shettiar and Qureshi allegedly attacked him yesterday. He succumbed to his injuries in hospital.
Amolik, who retired from police service three years ago, is currently working with a private firm.
Shettiar allegedly revealed during interrogation that Amolik masterminded the killing, police said, and Qureshi was held after that.
The exact motive behind the murder is being established and all possible angles probed.
Amolik and Loharia may have had a heated argument about a month ago following an accident, due to which Loharia allegedly threatened the former policeman with a revolver, police said.
"However, this is a far-fetched theory and quite an unbelievable one but we are probing all the angles like if there is any professional rivalry or some property dispute between the two," according to a police source.
Shettiar had earlier said Loharia had cheated him on some amount but later he took Amolik's name and detailed his role in the murder, the source said.
Amolik has been remanded in police custody till February 22 while Qureshi will be produced in court tomorrow.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota