Revellers lynch dhaba owner in Midnapore
- Yakub Memon's mercy plea rejected, Sena calls it a message to terrorists
- Ready to discuss Sushma in Parliament, but not Raje, Chouhan: Arun Jaitley
- RS deadlock: Govt ready for debate, Oppn says get your ministers to resign first
- SC rejects Centre's review against scrapping quota for Jats
- Curfew in Jamshedpur after clashes over alleged eve teasing, at least 100 arrested
Midnight scuffle Picnicgoers were on their way to Orissa, 35 of them arrested on Tuesday.
A group of picnicgoers lynched the owner of a roadside dhaba in Belda in West Midnapore district late on Monday night. Another worker of the dhabha has been hospitalised with serious injuries.
Police said, the incident took place late Monday night when a bus carrying a group of 42 picnicgoers stopped at the roadside eatery for food. The group was going to Orissa from Midnapore for a picnic.
Locals said, the revellers soon got involved in an altercation with five persons working at the dhaba, including the owner — Sunil Kar. The altercation soon turned into a scuffle and at least 20 members of the group started beating the dhaba owner and his employees. They then ransacked the dhaba.
Later locals reached the spot and rescued Kar and his workers. Swapan, a worker, was also critically injured. Both were taken to a local hospital where Kar was declared dead on arrival. Police reached the spot in the wee hours on Tuesday and have arrested 35 people allegedly involved in the incident.
Superintendent of Police (West Midnapore) Sunil Chowdhury said: "We have arrested 35 people. The group was involved in a scuffle after an argument over food."