Review powers of PCA: UT to write to MHA
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
The UT Administrator on Monday came down heavily on the UT Estate Office for not taking adequate action to contain the menace of misuse in the resumed buildings and also the increasing violations of building bylaws across the city.
Sources said that the UT Administrator was not too pleased with the casual attitude of the UT Estate Office officials in dealing with the problems. He directed the UT Estate officials to play a more proactive role in containing the menace.
Also, after question marks were raised on the functioning of the Police Complaint Authority (PCA) and its jurisdiction, now the UT Administration will write a letter to the Ministry of Home Affairs on its current mandate and its powers will be reviewed.
This was revealed after the public hearing session meeting on Monday chaired by the UT Administrator, in which the top brass of the UT Administration were present.
Sources say that it was felt that the PCA, which is a recommendatory body, has exceeded its brief by passing a one-sided order/ direction in a specific property dispute case which came up during the public hearing session Monday.
The matter came up after Yuvraj Singh, an applicant, on Monday alleged that the UT Police had allegedly, in connivance with the landlord of the Industrial Area plot number 8, Phase II, where he is a tenant, had changed the locks of the premises and also registered a false case against him. This matter was also reported to the PCA wherein the PCA ordered the suspension of the SHO of the Sector 31 police station. The PCA further ordered that the tenant Yuvraj Singh be restored the premises.
During the meeting, the UT officials decided to send a letter to the MHA asking for a clarification on what exactly should the powers of the PCA be and also that its functioning be reviewed.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment