Rewind: A look back at 2010 Machil fake encounter case
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Six election officials killed in Naxal attack; FIR filed against Azam Khan
An Army court on Wednesday ordered court martial proceedings against one Colonel, one major and four others in connection with the 2010 Machil fake encounter case.
The case is about three youths from the Valley, who were killed in a fake encounter and labelled as hardcore militants in 2010.
On April 30, 2010, the Army had claimed that they had killed three infiltrators in the Machil sector along the Line of Control.
Reyaz Ahmad, Mohammad Shafi and Shahzad Ahmad - all residents of Nadihal in Baramulla district- were reportedly lured by a former SPO Bashir Ahmad Lone and his accomplices to Machil on the pretext of getting them high-paying jobs in the Army and later handed over to Army for Rs 50,000 each.
The trio was later allegedly shot dead in a staged gun-battle near the Line of Control. Dubbed as Pakistani infiltrators, they were buried as unidentified militants. The case came to light when police found discrepancies in the FIR lodged by the Army unit and launched an inquiry into the incident.
Following complaints from relatives of the victims, a Territorial Army jawan and two others were arrested by police but the incident led to unrest in the entire Kashmir Valley and widespread demonstrations in which 123 people were killed.
Eleven persons including nine army officials and two civilians were charged under Sections 302 (murder), 364 (abduction), 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 34 (common intent) of the Ranbir Penal Code (RPC).
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit