Ricky Martin lands Evita role
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: RCB pick early wicket as Starc removes Mayank
Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin is set to star in Evita on New York's Broadway theatre district opposite Elena Roger.
The Livin' la Vida Loca singer, who previously appeared in Les Miserables, will play the part of Che, opposite Argentine actress Elena Roger in the musical, which will run in New York's Broadway theatre district.
The 38-year-old said, "I've never lost my love for the intimacy of the theatre."
The revival of Evita, which is scheduled to open in spring 2012 with Michael Grandage directing, will be the first new Broadway production of the Tony Award-winning musical since its 1979 New York debut which ran for four years.
Grandage said of the project, "It is very exciting to bring this new production of Evita to Broadway with an Argentine woman in the title role for the very first time.
"With Ricky Martin joining the company, we now have an opportunity to make the production even more authentic," he added.
The Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber penned musical dramatises the life of Argentina's controversial first lady Eva Peron and remains one of their most popular productions, having even been turned into a successful movie in 1996 starring pop superstar Madonna.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18