Ricky Martin lands Evita role
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin is set to star in Evita on New York's Broadway theatre district opposite Elena Roger.
The Livin' la Vida Loca singer, who previously appeared in Les Miserables, will play the part of Che, opposite Argentine actress Elena Roger in the musical, which will run in New York's Broadway theatre district.
The 38-year-old said, "I've never lost my love for the intimacy of the theatre."
The revival of Evita, which is scheduled to open in spring 2012 with Michael Grandage directing, will be the first new Broadway production of the Tony Award-winning musical since its 1979 New York debut which ran for four years.
Grandage said of the project, "It is very exciting to bring this new production of Evita to Broadway with an Argentine woman in the title role for the very first time.
"With Ricky Martin joining the company, we now have an opportunity to make the production even more authentic," he added.
The Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber penned musical dramatises the life of Argentina's controversial first lady Eva Peron and remains one of their most popular productions, having even been turned into a successful movie in 1996 starring pop superstar Madonna.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today