Right health insurance can be a saving grace
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
Medical inflation is a cause of concern for each one of us today. India lags behind its global counterparts in offering a state sponsored health insurance system to a large section of the population. As a result, it has one of the highest out-of-pocket spends at 61 per cent, putting a lot of stress on family budgets in case of a medical treatment.
Given the uncertainty associated with medical emergencies, it is best to be prepared by availing a health insurance policy. Choosing the correct health insurance plan is a very perplexing process for several people given that there are so many products available today. Also, each policy offers different options, add-ons which tend to further complicate the purchase process.
Before you zero in on a policy, you need to be clear about your requirements as well as your existing medical history and your family's. Having zeroed in on a policy, it is very critical to thoroughly understand the same including the caveats.
The following factors will help you choose a health insurance policy in line with your needs:
Adequate sum insured
It is essential to take sufficient cover which protects you and your entire family. It is important to choose the right amount of sum insured depending on the past medical history of the elderly family members as they would require higher health insurance coverage. Similarly, the location where you reside should be taken into consideration. A person staying in a tier I city would require a higher sum insured compared to a person who lives in a small town since the hospitalisation costs are higher in metros.
Most health insurers provide cashless facility to insured individuals. It is necessary to check the list of network hospitals that are offered to the policy holder. Cashless facility offers convenience to the insured as it avoids the hassle of making payments and then claiming reimbursement. Some of the companies have their own claims processing unit which makes direct payment to the customers.
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully