Rights activist with ‘Maoist links’ in CID custody till April 21
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The CID today moved a petition in the ACJM Court (Bengal Police) at Alipore to take human rights activist Debolina Chakraborty in its custody for interrogation for her alleged involvement with a Maoist outfit. Debolina is member of Mantangini Mohila Samity - an outfit allegedly close to the Maoists. The ACJM court ( Bengal Police) allowed the plea of the CID and she was remanded in the CID custody till April 21.
On April 8, the Tiljala police station arrested seven persons, including Debolina Chakraborty, in connection with the movement against the evictions at Nonadanga.
Today Debolina and other six were produced at ACJM Court (Kolkata Police) and the court remanded them in jail custody till April 26.
In a separate development, the CID today moved a petition to ACJM court (Bengal Police) to take Debolina into custody in connection with the arrest of some alleged Maoists which took place on June 29, 2010 at Bishnupur in South 24 Parganas. The CID claimed that it has come to know about her involvement with the Maoists outfit and the agency wanted to interrogate her in connection with the same. Allowing the plea,the court remanded her in CID custody till April 21.
Advocate Subasish Roy, counsel of Debolina, said that the police had already filed a chargesheet on the arrest of the alleged Maoists on June 29, 2010 and her name was mentioned in the chargesheet. When Debolina, was in the custody of Kolkata Police, suddenly the CID came to know about her links with the Maoists outfits, Roy argued.
He said that Bengal police also moved another petition on Wednesday to take Debolina in its custody in connection with two cases registered with Nandigram PS in 2009 and 2011. The court had also allowed the plea, Roy said.
She would have to be produced in the Haldia court in connection with case of Nandigram PS.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express