Rights body awaits action on threat letter
- Elections 2014 Live: Trinamool Congress workers beat up election officials in West Bengal
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The West Bengal Human Rights Commission is waiting for a reply from the West Bengal State Law Clerks' Council on its action on a letter threatening to frame its Chairman Justice Ashok Kumar Ganguly, even as the law clerk Thursday denied having written it.
WBHRC Registrar Rabindranath Samanta said that the letter on September 18 by the law clerk of Burdwan Court Asima Malik was hand-written, carried her mobile number and allegedly threatened to bring a molestation charge against Ganguly.
Asked whether the WBHRC verified if the letter was actually written by Malik, he said that the Commission had come to know that the letter was faxed from a particular shop in Burdwan town by a woman.
He said that the Commission would react only after receiving a reply from the Council."Let us see what steps the Council takes," he said.
Meanwhile, the law clerk in Burdwan town denied that she wrote the letter.
"I have no connection with the letter sent to the WBHRC chairman. I cannot write such a thing," she said, adding that a lawyer of Burdwan court with whom she had a problem over typing of a letter some time ago could be behind it.
"This is a conspiracy to frame me," she said.
West Bengal State Law Clerks Council, Vice-President, Bipodtarini Aich also said that it was not possible for Malik to have written the letter as she did not have the required educational background.
Aich, however, said if the letter was sent to the Council and it was verified that it was indeed Malik's handwriting then action would be taken against her.
The purported letter to Justice Ganguly read, "You are a tout of the CPM. How much allowance do you get from the party? You are ungrateful and unworthy of trust. Mamatadi honoured you, but you are trying to embarrass her. Beware, I shall file a case of molestation against you. Don't act big."
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi