Rise in cases of cruelty by husbands against women in Delhi
- Dadri: Outrage after mob lynches man for allegedly consuming beef
- At United Nations, Pak PM Sharif plays his old tune on Kashmir
- 2006 Mumbai train blasts: Death sentence for 5 convicts, life for 7
- Modi's foreign visits need to be backed up with action on ground: Rajan
- Diesel rates up by 50 paise from midnight tonight, no change in petrol price
Women in the national capital seem to be as unsafe in their homes as they are outside with close to 1,500 cases of cruelty against them by their husbands or relatives registered during 2011.
According to Home Ministry data, there has been a surge in instances of violence against women by someone from the family as 1,498 such cases were registered in the capital during 2011 as against 1,273 in 2010 and 1,177 in 2009.
The data, based on cases of crime against women in six metro cities, also revealed that there were 1,355 such cases registered in Hyderabad, 557 in Kolkata, 458 in Bangalore, 393 in Mumbai and 229 in Chennai from January-December 2011.
During 2010, 1,420 cases of cruelty by husbands or relatives were registered by Hyderabad Police, 400 in Kolkata, 398 in Bangalore, 312 in Mumbai and 125 in Chennai.
According to the data by National Crime Records Bureau under the Ministry of Home Affairs, 1,363 such cases were registered in Hyderabad in 2009, 434 in Mumbai, 411 in Kolkata, 367 in Bangalore and 154 in Chennai.
Besides, as many as 556 cases of molestation were registered in Delhi, 553 in Mumbai and 254 in Kolkata during 2011. As many as 250 such cases were registered by Bangalore Police, 157 in Hyderabad and 73 in Chennai in 2011.