RJD Lok Sabha MP Umashankar Singh dead
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
RJD Lok Sabha MP Umashankar Singh died this morning at a hospital here, his family said.
72-year-old Singh breathed his last at the AIIMS where he had been admitted for treatment of pneumonia and lung infection. He is survived by his wife and four sons.
A five-time MLA, he was elected MP from Maharajganj in 2009 and was one of the four MPs of Lalu Prasad's Rashtriya Janta Dal.
Prasad condoled the death of Singh. The RJD chief, who came to party office in Patna on the occasion of the 89th birth anniversary of socialist leader Karpoori Thakur, led his party members in observing a minute's silence to condole the death of the MP.
Born in village Renuwa of Siwan district of Bihar, Singh had been elected to the Assembly for the first time in 1977 from Maharajganj and had served as MLA five times till 2005 on tickets from various parties.
Singh was Bihar President of Janata Dal (United) before switching sides to RJD on the eve of last general elections.
Singh's family said that he had visited Chennai and Goa as a member of a Parliamentary Committee recently and fell ill soon after coming back here.
He was admitted to AIIMS on January 18 after suffering from penumonia.
Singh was earlier treated in Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital this month after he had caught cold.
He is a member of Lok Sabha's Committee on Railways and on Empowerment of Women.