Rlys to give first chance to tatkal waiting list
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
In this festive season, the common man's quest for a confirmed train ticket is made almost impossible by a new rule of the Railway Board that gives preference to tatkal tickets over those in the general waiting list.
After a lot of internal debate and conflicts — which saw the railway bureaucracy divided in opinion on the new rule — it was decided earlier this year that whenever the capacity in a popular train gets augmented by addition of extra coaches, the berths will be given to ticket-holders in tatkal waiting list. Only after the tatkal list has been exhausted, if at all, will the general waitlisted tickets, booked months in advance, get in. The rule came into effect through an official circular in May.
During the prevailing festive rush of Diwali and Chhath, from October 10 and November 20, the Railways has rolled out 60 special trains to popular destinations, over and above the existing ones. Four hundred extra coaches are being attached every day to Rajdhanis, Shatabdis, Durontos during this period. Railway officials confirmed that in these coaches, tickets waitlisted in tatkal were accommodated first, which means that majority of those who booked months in advance in the general waiting list were denied. Currently, the general waiting list for popular mail/ express trains is running into hundreds.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress