Rlys to operate triple-stack container trains
- Independence Day: No exchange of traditional sweets between BSF, Pakistan Rangers
- Govt rules out Sushma's resignation; Rahul Gandhi targets PM Modi
- Sushma Swaraj attacks the Gandhis in Parliament: Top quotes
- Bombay High Court to decide on Maggi ban today
- Bihar polls: JDU, RJD to contest on 100 seats each, Congress to fight in 40 constituencies
Having put on tracks the country's first double-stack container train on the Jaipur-Pipavav port route in May, Indian Railways now plan to operate triple-stack container trains on select non-electrified routes. In the process, the Railways hope to become the first to do so in the world.
The idea is to further reduce the unit cost of transportation by increasing the volume of goods carried per train. Mainly targeted at automobiles and their ancillaries, triple-stack trains are also being thought of as carriers of electronic and electrical goods. The move, say officials, could enhance profitability by 50 per cent.