Road mishap: Man wins disability claim
- Malaysian plane crashes off Vietnam coast; 5 Indians on board
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Raosaheb Dinkar Jadhav (51), who suffered 50 per cent permanent disability after a road mishap in 2005, was recently awarded compensation of Rs 21.36 lakh by the Maharashtra Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT). On May 6, 2005, Jadhav was walking towards Katraj gaon from Dehu Road-Katraj Bypass Road when a truck came from behind and knocked him down. A case was registered at the Sahakar Nagar Police Station against the truck driver for rash and negligent driving.
Jadhav had to undergo treatment at various hospitals and had to spend Rs six lakh on various surgeries and treatment. He moved the MACT seeking monetary compensation of Rs one crore from the truck owner and the insurance company that had insured the truck that knocked him down. After the accident, Jadhav could not join work for 20 months, nor was he able to perform basic functions.
In its defence, the insurance company disowned liability and refused to pay the compensation.
"The applicant (Jadhav) was carelessly walking on the road and the accident occurred due to his own fault," the company said. After hearing both sides, MACT additional member and district judge Vinay Joshi directed National Insurance Company Ltd and truck owner — A Appa Rao of Andhra Pradesh, to pay Rs 21.36 lakh to Jadhav from the date of filing of petition — July 6,2005 with eight per cent interest rate till its realisation.
The judge in its order noted, "The said place of accident itself speaks that the truck which was heading towards east has left the tar road, went to the kaccha road and rammed the pedestrian showing his negligence. Therefore, it is clear that due to the negligence on the part of truck driver, the accident occurred."
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today