‘Robber’ says BJP leader abducted, thrashed him
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi files his nomination from Varanasi, says technology upgradation and branding needed for development of Kashi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Manmohan Singh casts vote in Guwahati, dismisses Modi-wave in country
- Letter by Xavier's principal criticising Gujarat model taken down from college website
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP records 24 % in first four hours
The case of foiled robbery bid at the residence of a local BJP leader in Dahod district took a new turn late Wednesday evening after a teacher accused of attempting the robbery lodged a cross-complaint alleging he was abducted by the leader himself and assaulted.
The incident had taken place at around 00:00 hours Wednesday at residence of Praful Damor, the vice-president of Dahod district unit of BJP, in Javesi village of Fatehpura taluka.
According to a complaint filed by Damor's driver Tersing Visarta with Sukhsar police station, a gang of around 15 robbers, armed with sharp-edged weapons and country-made guns, broke into Damor's bungalow with intent to commit loot. They broke a door and targeted a safe. However, Damor woke up and raised an alarm by firing from his licensed 12-bore pistol. The robbers tried to escape and in the melee, Visarta was injured.
However, one of the robbers, Suresh Machhar, allegedly failed to jump the compound wall of Damor's bungalow and was beaten up by villagers.
The robbers had also allegedly fired from their country-made pistols in retaliation.
Machhar (28), who is a resident of nearby Kundala village and teaches at the primary school in his village, sustained serious head and neck injuries. He was rushed to a private hospital in Vadodara for treatment under police protection.
In his cross-complaint filed late Wednesday evening, Machhar alleged Damor and few others abducted him from his village around 10 pm Tuesday when he was on his way back home after attending a function at a relative's home in the village.
"Damor hit me with a stick and when I fell down, three persons accompanying him threw me inside his car and locked me up in a room in his bungalow. There, Damor's brothers hit me in head and face and I fell unconscious," Machhar stated in his complaint.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling