Robbery at retired state official’s home an inside job, say police
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Police suspect the role of an insider in the burglary at the Worli resident of retired Maharashtra Additional Chief Secretary N Rama Rao. Cash, gold and valuables worth Rs 83.5 lakh was reported missing by Rao on Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Police said, in the complainant it was mentioned that the burglary took place between 9.30 am on September 5 and 10 am on September 11, but a complaint was lodged only on Wednesday around 2.25 pm.
"We are yet to ascertain the exact time of the robbery but we narrowed down to 6 days and are investigating the alibis of all suspects during this period," said sIb inspector Yashwant Sawant, who is investigating the case.
Rao lives on the 6th floor of Priya Building on Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan Marg near with his wife and daughter. The family employs three persons to cook and clean the house, who work between 10 am and 5 pm everyday. All three are at present being questioned.
"Rao said that he and his family were home during the possible time of the robbery. No one apart from the family and domestic staff were seen to have entered the home during that time," Sawant said.
Police have also found that the CCTV camera installed at Rao's door had not been functioning since September 3.There were no signs of forced entry.
"We have rounded up a pool of suspects and are questioning the victim's domestic staff. None of them is missing since yesterday and it doesn't look like the work of an outsider. We are also examining CCTV footage of the Punjab National Bank which is located in the neighbouring building," said Dipak Pawar, senior police inspector, Worli police station.
The family requested privacy while they assessed the loss and declined to offer a statement.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today