Rod inserted in woman's mouth during attempt to rape her
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Elections 2014 Live: FIR filed against Hema Malini, Pawar campaigns for daughter Supriya
Lips and trachea cut; when neighbours rushed to help, accused joined them.
A 19-year-old woman was brutally assaulted after she resisted a rape attempt by a 26-year-old electrician on Monday night in Jal Vihar, Southeast Delhi, police said.
The Class XI student sustained severe throat injuries as Anil (alias Devraj) inserted an iron rod in her mouth to stop her from calling for help, police said. The girl's brother said her lips and trachea were cut due to the assault and she had undergone a neck surgery.
Anil was arrested from Ismylpur village on Tuesday morning. In her statement to police, the woman said Anil came to the house around 8 pm to collect payment for the electricity bill.
"I told him no one was at home and he left. After five minutes, he knocked on the door again. As soon as I opened, he forced himself on me and started to undress me. I tried to push him away, but failed. I picked up utensils, threw them at him and started shouting for help," he statement said.
She told police that Anil threatened to kill her if she raised an alarm and slapped her. She picked up an iron rod and tried to hit Anil, but he snatched it from her hand, police were told.
Her statement said Anil then inserted the rod in her mouth in an attempt to gag her.
A senior police officer said: "The accused, who was under the influence of alcohol, wanted the woman to stop shouting, (so) he inserted the road inside her mouth. It cut her lips and trachea. But the woman kept calling for help."
Her calls alerted the neighbours who rushed to her rescue. Police said Anil hid behind the door and as the others entered the house, he mingled with them and pretended to be concerned.
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit