Rod inserted in woman's mouth during attempt to rape her
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
Lips and trachea cut; when neighbours rushed to help, accused joined them.
A 19-year-old woman was brutally assaulted after she resisted a rape attempt by a 26-year-old electrician on Monday night in Jal Vihar, Southeast Delhi, police said.
The Class XI student sustained severe throat injuries as Anil (alias Devraj) inserted an iron rod in her mouth to stop her from calling for help, police said. The girl's brother said her lips and trachea were cut due to the assault and she had undergone a neck surgery.
Anil was arrested from Ismylpur village on Tuesday morning. In her statement to police, the woman said Anil came to the house around 8 pm to collect payment for the electricity bill.
"I told him no one was at home and he left. After five minutes, he knocked on the door again. As soon as I opened, he forced himself on me and started to undress me. I tried to push him away, but failed. I picked up utensils, threw them at him and started shouting for help," he statement said.
She told police that Anil threatened to kill her if she raised an alarm and slapped her. She picked up an iron rod and tried to hit Anil, but he snatched it from her hand, police were told.
Her statement said Anil then inserted the rod in her mouth in an attempt to gag her.
A senior police officer said: "The accused, who was under the influence of alcohol, wanted the woman to stop shouting, (so) he inserted the road inside her mouth. It cut her lips and trachea. But the woman kept calling for help."
Her calls alerted the neighbours who rushed to her rescue. Police said Anil hid behind the door and as the others entered the house, he mingled with them and pretended to be concerned.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today