- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Sonakshi Sinha on her status as the heroine of the Rs 100-crore club and stepping out of her comfort zone
Over two years ago, she debuted with a huge hit — Dabangg. With that, Sonakshi Sinha earned instant recognition as a classic Bollywood beauty. At a time when size zero was a fad, Sinha came across as a refreshing Indian beauty and full-figured — the kind that had long stopped happening to Hindi cinema.
As she awaits her big Diwali release, Son of Sardaar (SoS), Sinha stands with a filmography that most of her peers would envy, at least in terms of box-office figures. Her first two films — Dabangg and Rowdy Rathore — earned over Rs 100 crore. Her next films, Son of Sardaar and Dabangg 2, are also expected to achieve the same. "How many newcomers get to work with three of the country's biggest superstars in their first three films? It's not just the chance, but I think I've used the opportunities well," she says.
Her films so far have been evidently of the same mould, starring opposite older, macho superstars (Salman Khan in Dabangg, Akshay Kumar in Rowdy Rathore and Ajay Devgn in SoS) on whose star-power the films are built. But to her credit, Sinha has always managed to hold her own. "I think what works is that I don't try too hard, and I have an easy confidence; this is something I've imbibed from my father," she says. However, she dismisses the thoughts of a well-calculated strategy behind doing masala movies opposite established stars. "As an audience, I enjoy watching these kind of films, and naturally as an actor, I want to be a part of them." Her character in SoS is that of an archetypal Punjabi girl. "She is modern, colourful, vibrant and has been brought up with middle-class Punjabi values," she says.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today