Royal Enfield to hike annual capacity beyond 1.5 lakh in 2014
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Royal Enfield, the two-wheeler arm of Eicher Group, is looking to increase its production capacity beyond 1,50,000 units per annum by 2014 as it looks to strengthen position in the niche bike market.
The company, which is currently setting up a new plant near Chennai at an investment of Rs 150 crore, expects to start production from the new facility within two months.
"With our new plant at Oragadam (near Chennai) coming onstream within the next few months, in 2013 we will have a total combined capacity of 1,50,000 units. We are already working to increase it beyond that by 2014," Eicher Motors Ltd Managing Director & CEO Siddhartha Lal said in a teleconference.
When asked what kind of additional capacity and investment the company is looking at, he said: "We have not decided on any particular number but all the fresh capacity will be by and large at the new plant."
The company currently produces bikes at Tiruvottiyur plant in Chennai.
With the new capacity coming in, Lal said the company hopes to reduce the waiting period for the Royal Enfield bikes, which ranges from 6-8 months.
Royal Enfield has been growing at over 50 per cent in the last two years and "we are investing substantially across all its functions to continue a strong growth momentum in the long term", Lal added.
The company is looking to enhance its position in the niche bike segment, he said.
Eicher Motors reported 4.5 per cent decline in profit after tax for the calendar year 2012 at Rs 474.9 crore, as against Rs 497.4 crore in 2011.
The company's total income from operations was at Rs 6,389.9 crore as against Rs 5,684.4 crore in the previous year.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today