Rs 1.64 cr cash, over 41,000 liquor bottles seized in Delhi
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Election Commission-appointed teams seized Rs 1.64 crore cash and 41,000 liquor bottles and registered 21 cases of paid news in Delhi where polling for the state Assembly was held on Wednesday.
According to official data compiled by the Election Expenditure monitoring centre of the Income Tax department, other inducements (sarees, gifts) worth Rs 4.40 lakh were also seized by the EC-appointed flying squads and surveillance teams.
A total of 21 paid news cases were also registered.
In all, 210 flying squad teams, 210 static surveillance teams and 18 expenditure observers were deployed in the state by the EC as part of its measures to curb and check illegal money power being used in the run-up to polls.
77 cases were registered by I-T and other tax authorities in violation of expenditure norms set by the EC.
596 excise raids were also conducted during the polls, the data said.
The expenditure observers were brought on deputation from the I-T, Customs and Service Tax departments.
- Telangana turmoil likely in Parliament; PM says opposition to bill are hiccups, BJP to take call as per â€˜situationâ€™
- LIVE: Narendra Modi addresses first rally in Mamataâ€™sÂ turf
- Jan Lokpal Bill divides AAP and Cong, threatens Delhi govt
- Chidambaram counters Kejriwal over khap panchayat issue, says such bodies not part of IndianÂ culture