Rs 1.64 cr cash, over 41,000 liquor bottles seized in Delhi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Cong gave birth to child but killed the mother, says Modi on Telangana
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- IPL spot fixing: Do you want to probe charges against Srinivasan? SC asks Justice Mudgal panel
- Hate speeches: Petty statements by those claiming to be BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign, says Modi
Election Commission-appointed teams seized Rs 1.64 crore cash and 41,000 liquor bottles and registered 21 cases of paid news in Delhi where polling for the state Assembly was held on Wednesday.
According to official data compiled by the Election Expenditure monitoring centre of the Income Tax department, other inducements (sarees, gifts) worth Rs 4.40 lakh were also seized by the EC-appointed flying squads and surveillance teams.
A total of 21 paid news cases were also registered.
In all, 210 flying squad teams, 210 static surveillance teams and 18 expenditure observers were deployed in the state by the EC as part of its measures to curb and check illegal money power being used in the run-up to polls.
77 cases were registered by I-T and other tax authorities in violation of expenditure norms set by the EC.
596 excise raids were also conducted during the polls, the data said.
The expenditure observers were brought on deputation from the I-T, Customs and Service Tax departments.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready