Rs 3.83 crores spent in first-ever golf auction
- Hunkar rally: I want to see Narendra Modi as the future PM, says Paswan
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
- Pandemonium in J&K Assembly over Farooq Abdullah's comment on Kashmiris
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
Indian golf today witnessed the dawn of a new era as more than Rs. 3.83 crores (around USD 700,000) was spent in the auction for 24 players as the inaugural Pearl Golf Premier League was launched here.
As many as 24 players in three categories were auctioned at a glittering launch at Sahara Star Hotel in the presence of Bollywood actors Akshay Kumar and Vinod Khanna.
Akshay requested Khanna to sound the gong to signal the official launch of the inaugural Pearl Golf Premier League which is being held in association with Aamby Valley City.
The golf auction in India was a historic first, as eight franchises bought three players each -a fourth was added to each one of them on the basis of their spend in the auction -to form their teams for the three-day event to be held at the Aamby Valley Golf course from February 7 to 10.
The 2005 US Open champion, New Zealand's Michael Campbell was picked by Shubhkamna Eagles for the highest figure of USD 61,000 (Rs 33.55 lakhs), while Indian internationals Shiv Kapur (USD 59,000) and Gaganjeet Bhullar (USD 58,000) were picked by Maharashtra 59ers and Witalsee Punjab Lancers respectively as the next in the pecking order.
Shubhkamna Eagles were the highest spenders at USD 1,50,000 (Rs 82.5 lakhs) with Maharashtra 59ers at USD 1,35,000 (Rs 74.25 lakhs) and Witalsee Punjab Lancers with USD 1,08,000 (Rs 59.40 lakhs).
Among the teams which picked some of the big names were Maharashtra 59ers (Angel Cabrera, the two-time Major winner), Uttarakhand Lions (2011 Open winner, Darren Clarke), Colombo 6's (Simon Dyson) and Tamilnadu Pullees (Rich Beem, a former PGA Championships winner).
Asian number one Thaworn Wiratchant went to Witalsee Punjab Lancers, while world record holder Chapchai Nirat went to Uttarakhand Lions and Daniel Chopra was picked by Shubhkamna Eagles.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- Won’t return to NDA even if Narendra Modi is not PM candidate: JD(U)