Rs 31.40 crore spent on Ajmal Kasab's protection
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors slam Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark
- I skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
Nearly Rs 31.40 crore has been spent by the government on the protection of Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist Ajmal Kasab, who carried out the Mumbai terror attack and was hanged last month.
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh said as per information furnished by Maharashtra government and Indo-Tibetan Border Police, as on November 23, 2012, an amount of Rs 31,39,02,589 has been spent on the protection of Kasab.
While Maharashtra government has spent Rs 1.50 crore since 2008 when Kasab was arrested during the three-day mayhem in Mumbai, Rs 29.88 crore has been spent by the ITBP for his protection, Singh told Rajya Sabha today.
The LET terrorist was part of the ten-member gang who carried out India's worst terrorist attack that claimed 166 lives.
Till Kasab was hanged in Pune's Yerwada jail on November 21, he was kept in Mumbai's high-security Arthur Road Jail under the protection of ITBP.