Rs 4.65-cr fine slapped on PDS shopowners
- IAF An-32 aircraft missing: Manohar Parrikar undertakes aerial survey of search operations
- Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as running mate
- Judith D'souza, Indian kidnapped in Kabul, rescued: Sushma Swaraj
- Bhagwant Mann interview: 'I just wanted to show system of draw of lots in Zero Hour'
- Toll climbs to 46, Rajnath visits Kashmir valley today
The Panchmahals District Supply Office (DSO) has slapped a whopping fine of Rs 4.65 crore on 10 Fair Price Shop (FPS) owners after investigations revealed that 1.10 lakh fake bar-coded ration cards were used to procure essential commodities under the public distribution system.
This comes a week after Panchmahals District Collector Milind Torwane asked the Godhra Municipality and the District Supply Office to recover the amount from them.
DSO officials said that five of the 10 shopowners, against whom police complaints have been filed, are part of a same family. The DSO, Godhra Municipality and Lunawada taluka officials have been asked to submit a report on their properties also.