Rs 50,000 pours in every year for braveheart Sheru who took 3 bullets
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Four policemen, two polling officers killed in Maoist attack
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KKR vs RCB: KKR manage 150/7 against RCB
It is not often that a stray dog has well-wishers send across cheques worth tens of thousands every year. But, Sheru is no ordinary stray. Having taken three bullets on 26/11, five years ago, the 11-year-old now lords over nearly 50-sq-ft and gets at least Rs 50,000 every year from fans and animal lovers across the city.
He was injured on 26/11, when terrorists opened fire at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Since then, he has been with the Bombay Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA) hospital.
"Sheru was found in the parcel office of the CST railway station. When he was brought to the hospital, he had three bullets inside him. We performed a major surgery and took out two bullets. One is still lodged in his wind-pipe, but if we take it out, he will die. After he recovered, we named him Sheru, the 'sher dil vaala (braveheart)'," said Dr Mayur Dangar (27), manager at BSPCA Hospital, adding, "we always celebrate 26/11 as his birthday."
Sheru's caretaker, Sandeep Chavan, said though he was initially wary of people, he has warmed up to them. "Everyday, dozens come to see him. They read his board and find his story moving," said Chavan, who has been working at the hospital for 14 years.
On that fateful night, one bullet pierced Sheru under the shoulder blade, made a six-inch hole in the flesh and emerged from the other side due to which he lost a lot of blood.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling