Rs 80,000 cr investment: Reliance Industries, others get relief over KG-D6, 6 blocks
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
With over Rs 80,000 crore of investment in oil and gas hunt stuck for want of defence nod, Oil Minister M Veerappa Moily today said the ice has been broken on getting clearance for 39 offshore areas including Reliance Industries' already producing oil and gas fields.
Defence Ministry has declared 7 blocks including Reliance Industries's KG-D6 which has been in production since September 2008 and its gas discovery block NEC-25 for reasons like overlapping with proposed Naval base or being close to missile launching and Air Force exercise area.
"We have broken the ice. I don't think you can say (log jam continues)... oil and gas activities and defence strategies can co-exist," Moily told reporters when asked about the outcome of the first meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Investment (CCI).
He said the defence ministry has classified seven blocks as "No-Go" areas for oil and gas exploration and production activities and has imposed stringent conditions for another 32.
The CCI in its meeting on Wednesday asked the Ministry of Defence and Moily's ministry to sort out differences over the seven block in one month and for the 32 areas in three months.
"I dont think there will be a problem. We will sort it out. This (defence clearance to the 39 blocks) will open up Rs 80,000 crore of investment (and) open up a big gateway of investment in petroleum sector," he said.
Moily said oil and gas exploration and defence activities can co-exist as was the practice in several countries, including the United States.
"They (Defence Ministry) have a concern, which we are also concerned about. National security is important (but) at the same time oil and gas exploration and development is also necessary," he said. "When countries are after countries are going ahead, why can't India."
Moily said more than USD 14-15 billion investment has already been made in blocks like KG-D6 which has been producing oil since September 2008 and natural gas since April 2009.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'