RS adjourned over Dalit promotion quota
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
The Rajya Sabha on Tuesday witnessed an uproar over issues like quota in promotions for SC/ST and alleged scam in a gas exploration venture in poll-bound Gujarat. Arrest of innocent Muslims on false terror charges across the country also led to suspension of question hour, leading to two adjournments before lunch.
The Samajwadi Party first stalled the Question Hour, demanding release of "innocent" Muslim youth arrested on false terror charges across the country. Chairman Hamid Ansari said the issue can be raised after Question Hour but the SP members were unrelenting. As Ansari did not permit them to raise the matter, they rushed into the well of the House leading to adjournment till noon.
When the House reassembled, the SP members again trooped into the well, this time chanting slogans against quota in promotion for SC/STs in government jobs. BSP chief Mayawati and her party members, who have been pushing for the quota, kept silent in their seats as the SP MPs led by Naresh Agrawal shouted slogans. In the Rajya Sabha, members from the Congress waved a news magazine and copies of the report alleging irregularities in a gas deal by the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat.