Ruchika case: Rathore to stay in jail
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
Former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore would have to undergo his 18-month prison term with the Punjab and Haryana High Court today dismissing his plea challenging the sentence awarded to him for molesting 14-year-old Ruchika Girhotra about 20 years back.
Justice Jatinder Chauhan also dismissed a petition by 68-year-old Rathore, who is undergoing the sentence in high-security Burial Jail here since May 25, seeking release on probation.
The Sessions Court here had enhanced his six-month imprisonment awarded by a trial court in December last year to 18 months in jail on an appeal by CBI and her family.
Rathore's escape with a lighter sentence had sparked an outrage.
Ruchika, a budding tennis player, had committed suicide three years after being molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
Rathore's lawyer-wife Abha Rathore had filed the review petition on his behalf in the High Court on May 26 seeking bail, a day after he was sentenced and jailed.
Hailing the verdict, Ruchika close friend and only eyewitness in the case, Aradhana, said, "Justice has prevailed.