Running After DK
- Haji Ali dargah will have to open doors for women after Bombay HC ruling
- My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
- Panel works on alternative to pellets: Balls of pepper, capsicum gas
- Scorpene leak: Firms to be blacklisted only in cases of clear criminality, says Parrikar
- Sheena Bora murder: Taped conversations emerging on media submitted in court, says CBI
Aamir Khan calms down frazzled Delhi-based artists Thukral and Tagra, whose project Bosedk is similar to Delhi Belly's hit song
Bosedk has given Aamir Khan sleepless nights, confessed the actor-director at a press conference in Delhi yesterday. Confused? Ask Delhi-based contemporary artists, Jiten Thukral and Sumir Tagra, popularly known as Thukral and Tagra (T&T), who had taken on Khan for "copyright infringement," because the title of his oh-so-controversial track, Bhaag DK Bose, from Delhi Belly was similar to their art project, Bosedk designs, which started in 2003.
Even as Bhaag DK Bose reached cult status and everyone from your father to your friend began to chant the lyrics, T&T found their own project fading in the glitz. "When we heard of the popularity of Bhaag DK Bose, we were concerned that it would impact our reputation as artists. Each time someone makes an online search for our works now, they are taken to the song, Bhaag DK Bose," said Tagra, explaining that Bosedk comprises a series of oil on canvas paintings. The artists have displayed installations titled, Keep Out of the Reach of Children, under the Bosedk project at Gallery Nature Morte in 2007. Tagra also recently exhibited a painting, Life Cycle 2, from the project at the Venice Biennale.
The duo initiated action against this "uncanny coincidence" a week ago by filing a PIL in a Gurgaon court against Aamir Khan Productions. The savvy Khan stepped in, and the matter was sorted out amicably at his Mumbai house. "I invited the duo to my house in Mumbai after I heard of their concerns. The interaction started with suspicion, fear and anger, but by the end of it, we had sorted out the issue and I had discovered two talented artists. I respect the works of other creative people," clarified the actor-producer, adding a footnote, "I am still puzzled by the issue, since my song is Bhaag DK Bose and not Bosedk."
- In Kashmir, so-called solutions are riddled with contradictions and divisions
- Why personal, social and political self-identification of Dalits must count more than legal nomenclature.
- The draft surrogacy bill violates the fundamental right of people to choose modes of parenthood
- Realpolitik drives Myanmar’s outreach to India and China
- Epidemics in India are seldom followed by a long-term response
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within