Rupee up 20 paise against US dollar in early trade
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
The rupee today rose by 20 paise to 54.48 against the dollar in early trade at the Interbank Foreign Exchange market on continued selling of the US currency by exporters and banks.
Besides, a higher opening in the domestic equity market and strengthening of euro, which hovered at seven-week high against the American currency overseas, supported the rupee, forex dealers said.
Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark index Sensex extended yesterday's gains by rising 102.67 points, or 0.53 per cent, to 19,450.79 in early trade today.
The rupee had gained nine paise to close at 54.68 against the dollar yesterday on investor hopes of Parliament giving approval to FDI in multi-brand retail amid sustained selling of the US currency.