Russia's Sukhoi T-50 jet, to spin-off India's super fighter, undertakes test flight
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Russia's prototype fifth-generation Sukhoi T-50 fighter jet, on which will be based India's new super fighter has carried out its first successful long-range flight.
The T-50 fighter which features elements of 'stealth-technology', super-cruise capability, advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar underwent a long range flight from its manufacturing plant in Russia's far-east to an airfield near Moscow yesterday, Ria-Novosti reported quoting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.
"It is a breakthrough " Rogozin who oversees the Russian defence industry, wrote in his Twitter blog adding, " The plane flew 7,000 kms, making two landings, in Abakan and Chelyabinsk, on the way to the Russian capital."
A derivative of the stealth fighter is being developed for the Indian air force and an IAF version is to be test flighted in 2014.
The Indo-Russian version which is called the perspective multi-role fighter is to be developed at an estimated cost of USS 30 billion. The deal is reported to be in its final stages.
The plane joined three other T-50 prototype models at the Zhukovsky airfield prior to state flight tests, which are scheduled to start in March 2013. The T-50, also known as project PAK-FA, first flew in January 2010 and was presented to the public at the Moscow Air Show in 2011.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words